Sunday, June 03, 2007

Go Fred Go!!!

I love the idea of Fred Thompson getting in the race. I don't know if he'll get the nomination, but I think he brings a little bit more "conservatism" into the mix of main players. I think that currently there are only really three main candidates: McCain, Giuliani, and Romney. If Thompson enters into the race, I would rate him and Romney as the two top "conservative" candidates. I think of McCain and Giuliani each have their own "liberal" baggage. Primarily, McCain has the whole McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform issue that I don't think hwe'll be able to shake. Too many conservatives regard this, and rightly so I believe, as an attack on free speech and McCain's name is right on the top of it. As far as Giuliani goes, he's got a whole hose of social issues (gay narriage, abortion, etc) in which he leans pretty far to the left; much farther than most conservatives will be able to deal with I think. He even has problems with some hot-button political issues, like gun control, which will be an even greater drag on his candidacy. If I were to prognosticate at this point, I would say that either Romney or Thompson will get the nomination; although I admit that such predictions are about as reliable as hurricane season forcasts a year in advance. Still, it's fun to guess.

No comments: