Friday, May 18, 2007

New Immigration Bill...Is it good or not?

I personally have nevery really had a problem wth providing some mechanism for allowing illegal aliens to stay in the country legally as long as the mechanism was controlled and aggressively weeded out the "bad eggs" among them. It has just always seemed unrealiistic to me to deport upwards of 12 million people. Having said that, however, I also believe that the border security also has to be enforced aggressively to prevent a massive influx of non-conributing illegal residents who will drain the social benefits system dry. Regarding the amnesty question, as far as I can tell this bill both IS and IS NOT amnesty depending on how you want to frame it. I think in the strictest terms it is technically NOT amnesty because it does impose a penalty on those who fall under the jurisdiction of this bill; however it also provides a mechansim for those who entered this country illegally to avoid the current penalty for their actions, namely "deportation". So I really can't find fault with those who espouse either position. This video is a pretty good summary of what the current immigration bill proposes.

No comments: