Wednesday, May 30, 2007

iTunes DRM Free

I think this is a neat idea and I'm curious to see how well it catches on. I am an avid iTunes customer, but I pretty much stick to my computer and my iPod. But even for me the main benefit would be that, hopefully, iTunes would not have to validate the digital rights on my purchased content before syncing my iPod. I don't know how many times I've gone to sync with iTunes and it ended up deleting all my purchased content from the iPod because it said that I wasn't authorized access the material. Of course I was authorized but I had to re-authorize in order to get it to resync back to my iPod. It's not so bad if you only have a little bit of data, but I store TV shows on my iPod and each one is almost half a gig. So resyncing can take a while. Anyway, this non-DRM material may be worth getting just to avoid that problem. I'm also interested to see how it affects the piracy market. From what I've read, the name of the purchaser of the content is still encoded in the file so haphazardly sharing these non-DRM songs around will not be an anonymous escapade.



No comments: