Monday, September 04, 2006

Vista on VMWare is Very Vivacious

I just installed the 32-bit version of Windows Vista Beta 2 on VMWare Workstation 5.5.1. So far things have worked great. The installation was actually very easy (at least compared with what I've read about Beta 1). I simply downloaded the vista beta 2 iso file from Micorsoft (3.13 GB), created the new virtual machine using the Windows Vista (experimental) selection in VMWare , configured the virtual machine to use the iso image as the CDROM drive and gave the virtual machine a 30GB disk size and 1GB of memory, and then booted the machine. The Vista installer launched, installed everything, and that was it. The installation process all occured in 16 color, which is kind of ugly, but after I rebooted the virtual machine I installed VMWare Tools. After rebooting the virtual machine again, the VMWare SVGA driver kicked in and the interface went to 32-bit color mode. It looks good. So far VMWare has performed wonderfully. I'm just getting into Vista to see the differences... a lot of cosmetic ones so far, but it seems to run well.

No comments: